Friday, September 17, 2010

March - Spring Breakout, Lexington, VA

Since I was MIA for most of the year, I got behind in show updates. After Florida I had about two months off before the next show, but mother nature was not friendly to us on the east coast and we had quite a blizzard in February. There were about two weeks that I didn't ride, heck my trainer didn't have time to ride since she was worried about the roof falling in so she spent most of her time shuffling horses around, trying to get them in some sort of turn out in the indoor and shoveling snow off the older barn roof.

I am regretful for not taking pictures of the storm as I am sure will not see anything like this for a long time, well I hope so anyways.

This was the end of January and before we got the major snow fall.

But regardless of the obstacles that mother nature put in our way we had a pretty successful show. We did much better under the first set of judges then the second. 

In NA SMS we placed second out of eight under both judges. NA Western Pleasure was a VERY tough class to ride. Not only was it the largest class I had ever ridden in - twenty one horses - there were a handful of horses that really should not be showing in WP or the horses were just taking advantage of their rider (mine included). At this point in the season Woody had developed a smartness about the rail and he showed me that weekend. I had to do a lot of maneuvering and they had us lope a lap and a half both directions, which is a lot for a NA class! I was very surprised when my number got called for second under one judge; the other judge placed me eight. We had a great go in NA Horsemanship and both judges rewarded us with first out of ten horses. We didn't have the best trail goes if I remember correctly, but pinned first under both out of five horses. The next morning I decided to attempt NA Hunter Under Saddle. Surprisingly we placed fourth and fifth out of twelve horses!! I only entered because I thought there were only a handful of horses entered in the class. I was very surprised not to place last;) In NA Equitation we ended up third and fourth out of twelve horses.

As I mentioned before, we didn't do that great under the second set of judges. We ended up placing ninth out of ten in NA SMS because Woody decided to nip me during the jog which automatically made him throw his head up since he knows that he is not suppose to do that and caused a big production, blowing the class. We didn't place at all in the NA WP - first time that had ever happened! Woody was tired and couldn't hold himself together very well. He ended up getting very strong at the lope, well lets say he was probably cantering! Lot's of going into the class schooling and blowing the class was going to be needed to get this out of his system. Luckily he redeemed himself in the NA HMS and we placed first under both judges again. Had a great pattern, but the rail work was not so hot. In NA Trail, I totally messed up our go by forgetting the pattern and if I was suppose to lope over a pole or not. Ended up with a five point plenty, but still placed second under one judge out of five. The other placed me last. I decided not to show HUS since he was getting tired, but did show in NA Eq and placed second and fifth out of thirteen. The pattern wasn't great since Woody did not pick up the canter right away when I asked.

My trainer also showed him in Green and Open Trail. In Green trail he ended up with three firsts and one second out of eight horses. In the Open trail he placed ninth out of thirteen the first day and seventh out of sixteen the second day.

I ended up winning the Novice Amateur All Around, Circuit Champion in NA Horsemanship, NA Trail & Green Trail.

He was also shown by a small fry and ended up the Circuit Champion in Trail & Reserve All Around!


Christina

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the All Around and Circuit Championships. I hope the issues with Woody being to smart for WP stopped at this show. How did you go about fixing this issue of a ring smart horse? I hear it's a hard issue to fix.

    ReplyDelete